Tuesday 26 February 2013

Ireland: day 2 Politics, History, Cake and Custard

My Protestant family living in a Catholic area... My British family living in an area with unsettled republicans...
My grandad said the McCombs (family name) started with a man who came over, built his house on a hill which was attacked by Catholics. He went down to the priest and told him, if they come back he'll shoot them all. So I did some research.. Turns out that the first McComb came over in 1607 from Scotland for the Ulster Plantation. Another record says a Mr McComb led a mob attack against a Chapel and then later went mad. Perhaps part two to my grandaddy's tale....? 


Amazing chapel in my town...


My second cousin started a business with a chip van then opened a chip shop! After 15years of business he opened AJ's Diner, a successful diner is Crossgar which us in it's 10th year of successful business. I've never been there and it's had less than 60% of the tables full... An inspiration and a lesson for the future journey of my business and other endeavours. My 70-something yr old great aunt still works there (at her insistence) though she is well looked after and wants for nothing... Hard work, perseverance and family commitment seem to be the lesson for today.




If you ate with me you'd realise that it runs the family to serve more food than is necessary... You may also notice the Cake and Custard... My grandma taught my mum to bake and my mum taught me...

The food was incredible, generous and there are some clear reflections of this service in CakeGirl. It runs in the blood, seemingly...

No comments:

Post a Comment